My kids love when I make cookies for breakfast. I know what you are thinking but don't worry these cookies are low in sugar and fat and filled with plenty of nutrition. The chocolate chips give these cookies plenty of flavor and they are similar to the breakfast cookies you find at the store but healthier. These yummy cookies are packed with protein, omega 3 and fiber. While these cookies are not gluten free I did used 2 products that are gluten free.
The first product, made by Hodgson Mill, is Whole Grain Thick Cut Rolled Oats. These oats are not only great for baking but delicious for breakfast too. They are certified gluten free and high in protein and fiber with no added sugar or salt.
The second product that I used was Hodgson Mill Flax Chia Blend. This is of of my favorite products as it combines flax and chia seeds together to give you over 3000 mg's of Omega 3's per serving. These seeds are full of fiber, protein, calcium and iron. You can use this product in oatmeal, baking or in a smoothie, like I do for wonderful nutrition.
Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup almond milk or something similar like soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups wheat flour
1 1/2 cups Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Thick Cut Rolled Oats
3/4 cup Hodgson Mill Flax Chia Blend
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds
1) Lightly grease 3 baking sheets, or line them with parchment or silicone baking mats.
2) In a large bowl, mix the applesauce, brown sugar, almond milk, vanilla, and egg together. Combine until smooth.
3) Combine together the flour, oats, flax chia seed blend, salt, and baking soda. Then add to brown sugar mixture until well mixed.
4) Add chocolate chips and sunflower seeds. Mix until ingredients are all combined.
5) Let the dough rest for 30 minutes or so at room temperature, for the oats to soften. Towards the end of the rest period, preheat the oven to 350°F.
5) Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Flatten each ball of dough slightly. I like to put 12 cookies per baking sheet.
7) Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Cool them on the baking sheets for 15 minutes or so, to allow them to set.
Makes 3 dozen cookies
To obtain more information on the products I used and many other yummy whole grain products, click on the below links