My family loves sweets but I want them to eat healthy. So I compromise and make them treats that are good for them. My family wont eat them if they don't taste good so taste is very important. If my family knows that the item is healthy they won't even try it so I have to be sneaky. I made two different cake recipes the other night, one with black beans and one with less sugar that uses Monk Fruit sugar. The next day I gave my family a slice of each kind of cake without telling them which one had the black beans in it. My family enjoyed both but the black bean cake was their favorite. My husband, who hates healthy food, even said it was good and reached for a second piece. They key to this recipe is to use a good quality dark chocolate bar like Ghirardelli, Lindt, or Nibmor. I used Nibmor Mint Daily Dose of Dark in my cake as I had won a case of this last month. You can find this yummy chocolate at Sprouts. This cake is easy to make as you blend all the ingredients in a food processor.
Chocolate Black Bean Cake
1/2 cup butter
4 ounces dark chocolate candy bar broken into pieces(Ghirardelli, Lindt, or Nibmor)
2 cups cooked black beans
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Coat a 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray or oil.
3. Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Once butter is melted, pour it into a food processor bowl and add the chocolate pieces.
4. Process the melted butter and chocolate until smooth.
5. Add black beans and process again until smooth.
6. Add eggs and again process until smooth.
7. Add the flour, salt and baking powder and process until well mixed.
8. Pour mixture into the baking pan and bake for 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
9. Let cake cook before cutting into 12 squares.
This cake is very moist and does not need frosting. You can dust it with powder sugar or frost if you like.