You will never want to buy boxed cake mix when you see how simple it is to make your own cake. This cake tastes so much better than a box mix. This cake tastes great plain but can be frosted also. My family enjoys it with fruit on top of it. I served it with blueberries last night and there was no left overs.
I discovered this great recipe from another blogger Chocolate Chocolate and More but made a few changes to her recipe. This cake is made with egg whites so it has a light texture to it.
Homemade Vanilla Cake
1/2 cup soften butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons salt
4 large egg whites
confectioner's sugar for dusting
1. Cream together soften butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add milk and vanilla and combine well.
3. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture gradually to the milk mixture, blending .
4. Add egg whites and beat well until combined.
5. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 X 13 inch baking pan.
6. Bake at 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the middle
(if comes out clean) it is done.
7. Let cool for 45 minutes and dust with confectioner's sugar.
You can make this in 2 cake pans. To serve with fruit, use fresh, frozen or can fruit. I used 2 cups thawed frozen blueberries with 1 tablespoon honey mixed into them to make a nice topping.